This article on statins is among the worst and most irresponsible I've ever read.
First of all, if LDL cholesterol is so deadly, why do more than half of all heart attacks occur in folks with LOW LDL levels?? Answer - because it's not deadly. Not in the least.
How about this statement:
"If you didn't have this fatty substance floating in your bloodstream, your cell membranes would quickly collapse, your testicles would stop pumping out testosterone, and your gray matter would grind to a halt."
WE DON'T HAVE ANY CHOLESTEROL FLOATING FREELY IN OUR BLOODSTREAM!
Where do these magazines find these brainiacs?
And, do you really think that most of the population requires medication to simply survive? Who do you think would want you to believe this idea, eh what?
I'm going to leave this article to the real experts on this subject to dissect and pulverize. If they do, I'll place a link on this blog for easy access. I've sent it to several people I know who are far better at taking this one apart and beating it with a baseball bat.
Fact is, the experts who know better - doctors and scientists who have made this topic their life's work do not have the funding to combat this nonsense. Merck alone spent, according to Malcom Kendrick M.D., one BILLION dollars advertising statins.
Here's what we KNOW:
- We know that statins cause memory loss
- We know that statins cause depression, confusion and irritability
- We know that statins cause major birth defects
- We know that statins cause muscle weakness and wasting in 20% of users (this can be fatal)
- We know statins cause polyneuropathy (nerve damage)
- We know that statins cause liver damage
- We know that statins can cause sudden cardiac death
- We know that statins improve longevity in people with known coronary artery disease by - get ready - a whopping 2 months if you take them for 30 years.
- We know that statins DO NOT improve longevity in people without heart disease.
- We KNOW that high cholesterol levels to not cause heart disease
But c'mon! Let's take 'em anyways! Why not?
If the drug companies were really smart they'd make a lemon flavored chewable version of statins and offer them in Flintstones and Scooby-Doo shapes for kids! How about statin ice cream or Italian Ices?! YEAH BABY!
(Dear lord - what have I done!?)