If you want the skinny on how to become healthy and know what is scientifically so about nutrition, here are ten must read books that you'll eventually want to lay your hands on. Some of them are easy to read, some are more "heady" and others are somewhere in-between.
I am not putting them in any particular order. I will say that if fat loss and health are what you are mostly after, the first book is a good one to start off with. Know that when The Protein Power Lifeplan was written, The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution had not yet been penned. There is little exercise info within it.
If you want to be a brainiac on the subject of nutrition and health, each of these should be read eventually so pick one and get started!
1. The Protein Power Lifeplanby Michael and MaryDan Eades M.D.
2. Good Calories, Bad Caloriesby Gary Taubes
3. The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid Itby Malcolm Kendrick, M.D.
4. Real Food: What to Eat and Whyby Nina Planck
5. The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Food You Were Designed to Eatby Dr. Loren Cordain
6. Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Lifeby Dr. Christian Allan and Wolfgang Lutz, M.D.
7. The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainabilityby Lierre Keith
8. The Cholesterol Myths: Exposing the Fallacy That Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Diseaseby Uffe Ravnskov, M.D., Ph.D.
9. The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Dietby Robb Wolf
10. Men's Health TNT Diet: The Explosive New Plan to Blast Fat, Build Muscle, and Get Healthy in 12 Weeks (Mens Health)by Jeff Volek, Ph.D and Adam Cambell
(These are all Amazon affiliate links which means I receive a few shekels from each sale.)
Each of these books are unique in their own way and will give you a very well rounded education on how to chow. Live long and prosper!